Of all the things I've been called in my life....Mom sounds the best

About Me

My photo
Lovell, Wyoming, United States
I love being with my girls. They are what makes me... well who I am... a mother!

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Roseola

This is poor Nani's belly after her recent bout of Roseola. She had a snotty nose and then a fever of 102F for a few days. We thought it was teething but when she started acting different and the fever would come back an hour and a half after tylenol we took her to the doctor.(she had a bit of the rash but she gets a little mottled when she is too warm) I didn't want to do the whole tylenol/motrin thing if there was an underlying issue. Her ears, throat, and lungs were fine so Ken told us it was teething like we thought. Then came the full on rash. Dalen, Jessica's baby got the rash the day we took Annalyn but we thought it was just from being hot or ear infections because he had a fever too and her kids break out when they get ear infections even though the doctors laugh at her when she tells them. Her kids act fine but when they get hives or a rash and she takes them in they always have ear infections. I wish doctors would learn that parents know more about their kids than any medical book could ever teach them. Anyway...so Dalen gets the rash the day we take Nani, she checks out fine, she gets it the next day and Jess takes Dalen cuz his is still there. Both kids seem to be teething as far as the doctors see. I got a parenting magazine the day Dalen went and it talked about common childhood ailments and I see Roseola and when I look at the symptoms they match perfectly!!! A little cold, a week or so of high fevers(which she still has at this point) and then a rash. I got online and looked at pictures of the rash and at the symptoms again and called Micki(daycare provider). She looked in her medical books and she agreed. We didn't take the kids back in because it is viral and the only way they say yea or nay is to look at the rash or take blood to see if there are antibodies present. The bad thing is that kids are only contagious BEFORE symptoms appear, not after so we exposed all the other kids before we even knew. After a while I remembered that Jadalie had this when she was a baby too. I was going to look at pictures cuz I'm sure I took some of her rash too. Anyway... Here are some pics. You can't even see how bad it was cuz my cheap camera flash washes everything out. My phone did a better job!!!
Here is the phone pic on the 3rd day of the rash

My normal happy baby before it all happened

So sleepy. See you can barely tell there is a rash.

It was really red all over

She even got it on her nose and all around her eyes. I wish the pictures could show it better

Damn paci anyway

Isn't her new hair cut beautiful!?!


No comments: